Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Brilliant endgame tactics of Deep Shredder

In my most recent training match as White against Deep Shredder 11 with the odds of knight and move, I have run into a wrecked pawn structure that allowed the software to put me under heavy pressure. I was forced to give the piece back and arrived in an endgame equal in material but with a serious pawn weakness.

diagram

Black to move.

I thought I could defend my position but then Deep Shredder surprised me with the brilliant strike 1.-Rg3! He gives a full rook for no checkmate, but after 2.fxg3 Qa2+ I must give my rook for nothing more than a tempo or I get checkmated. I am forced to trade Queens, but before I can do it, Deep Shredder's Queen snatches another pawn, and with his f- and g-pawns against my h-pawn, the endgame is lost.

Very instructive! It tells me that my training strategy of playing at odds against the full power of Deep Shredder is exactly what I need. A weaker engine probably would have agreed to draw by repetition earlier in the game, and I would have missed this tactical combination.

Another point in favour of my method: the E=mc2 of chess, that is, the balance between my material advantage and the "energetic" advantage of Deep Shredder.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Tom Chivers said...

That's a beauty, and yes a real computer-shot indeed. I am interested that you played an odds-training match too, I might try this!

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger chesslovers said...

yeah this is i like, cool post.i still play too.thanks

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Thomas said...

Hi, German player Atila Figure just used this model to win an instructive game. He learned about moustrappers game some days before and could apply the idea at once. It's very nice to see, how he establishes the setup while his opponent doesn't know what's going on.
See http://dbmm2009.fvschach.de/partien/dbmm_2009_best_of.htm and select the game Hein vs. Figura.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger schachfieber said...

Hi,
thanks for your nice tactics!
Here are one or two more examples. The first very much in connection with your blog.
Wilhelm
http://www.schachfieber.de/2009/11/25/das-mousetrapper-motiv/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home