Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Good position but bad plan

Yesterday I had to concede a draw to a -90 rated opponent. I did not play really badly, as Deep Shredder tells me to my surprise. But neither did my opponent, it happens that so-called weaker players have their good moments, and obviously this has been such a day.

As White, I came out of the opening (Sicilian) quite well. Such a position should be transformed to a winning game with the right plan.

position
White to move.

All is very obvious and simple. White should take the open c-file with his Rook as soon as possible and install a Knight outpost, why not on c5? The Bishop e2 is bad and should be traded for the strong Knight d5.

So I played Rfc1 in this position, of course. My opponent replied Nce7 in order to push d7-d6. Now I lost the thread and played Nfd2 with the idea of Bf3 and Ne4-d5. But this all is too complicated and too slow, and it weakens my strong point e5. It came out that my strong center pawns and his queenside wing pawns disappeared. We came to an endgame where he always had a small advantage and I saw no chance of pushing my isolated passer to the Queen. I agreed to draw by repetition.

game histogram

This diagram shows that the game never left the draw bandwidth. I have only seven of 38 drawn games where this is the case. The red line marks the situation immediately prior to the turning point of the game where I missed the conversion to a win.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home