Monday, April 21, 2008

Bad time management

I admit, I am complaining on a high level. I have won my last game as Black in the Swiss Team Championship, and our team booked a comfortable 4-2 win. Against my -150 rated opponent, winning was mandatory, and I never was in danger as the diagram below shows: From move 13, the advantage always has been on the Black side. On move 28 we arrived at this position where I had the opportunity to end the game with one move:

diagram

Black to move.

I quickly spotted Qg3 threatening mate in one, but after Ne1 the weak spot g2 is sufficiently covered and I cannot attack it further. Therefore I rejected my mating plan and concentrated on plans to retire the hanging Bishop. I used two minutes on these plans and decided to trade Bishops by Bh3-e6-a2, freeing the f-pawn for the attack f7-f5. Not a bad plan, but I made a big time management blunder here.

I had 55 minutes on my clock for 12 moves, that is, more than 15 minutes ahead of a steady time schedule. And this is a very tactical position. At least I should have identified all its motives. Playing faster than average in such a position, this must be called a time management blunder.

Do you spot the winning move? Two hints: the strong dark-squared Bishop and my Rook on the b-file play important roles in this plan.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Christian said...

How about:

1. ... Qg4 2. Nh4 Bxf2+ (2. Ne1 Qxd1; 2. g3? Qxg3+ 3. Kh1 Qg2++) 3. Kxf2 Tb2+ (3. Txf2 Qxd1+) 4. Kg1 Txf2+ 5. Kh1 Qg3 6. Nf3 Txa2 7. Tf2 Bg2+ 8. Kg1 Bxf3+ 0-1

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Christian said...

Exactly! Same idea as Qg3 but preventing Ne1. Very simple and forcing, White can resign on the spot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home