Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A tactical game

Yesterday, as Black in a club championship game, I had lost a pawn in the opening. Or should I say I sacrificed it? No, it was not planned, but it came out that I had quite a compensation for it. Just look at this position after black Rook attacks Bishop and white Queen protects it, move 18.

position 1

Black to move.

I have five developed pieces against his only two. And even more important, his King is still in the center. Thus, I thought that the Knight sacrifice on e4 must be good. Interestingly, Shredder sees me as winning after Nxe4, but my feeling at the board was quite different as soon as I realized that I do not win his Bishop and I am a full piece down. I thought that I was struggling against loss! On the other hand, I had the impression that my opponent had the feeling of winning because he seemed not to be very concerned about the danger of his King. This has been a very important experience, learning more about the power of a compensation.

Despite some weak moves of mine I managed to keep the upper hand and, due to his weak defense, gained material back. And here is the beautiful finish after 32. Bf4.

position 2

Black to move. My final blast makes use of the overworked Queen. I guess you see it.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger The Caquetio Knight said...

Bc3+!!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Christian said...

One of our 2000+ club members recently presented a game where he knowingly made an unsound sacrifice because he was a pawn down already and had no play whatsoever. The sacrifice opened some (desperate) avenues for counterplay -- but all that was needed was a blunder by his opponent (who soon complied). Long story short: when your opponent has a dominant position, opt for counterplay; it seems much easier to counterattack properly than to defend properly. Even so, I wouldn't have dared risking my knight if I had been in your stead.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Christian said...

@ caquietio: At once? really?

@ christian: My sacrifice was completely sound, only I did not know! Fortunately I took the risk.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger The Caquetio Knight said...

Ok That was my first thought. Qxf4 !!! game over.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger The Caquetio Knight said...

1. Qxf4!! Qxf4 2.Bc3+ Qd2 3.Bxd2+ Kd1 4.Ba5+ K any 5.Bxf1 and black is winning

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Christian said...

@ caquietio: Right, after 2.-Bc3+ White resigned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home