Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The psychology of tactics

Yesterday, again in club championship with Black, I have got on the loser's road with a horrible blunder at move 26, facing a slow and painful death. How long should I struggle for survival? I launched a desperate pawn attack at the kingside, and really, my opponent parried it with a weak Queen move, still up to pawns. This is the position on move 30.

diagram

Black to move: 30.-Qd7(!)

The exclamation mark stands for a good move, and the brackets mean that its goodness is not out of position but of psychology. The d-file has played an important role in this game. My opponent had conquered it in the middlegame with his Rook, gaining a positional advantage and setting me under pressure. Even more, with his Rook he had been harassing my Queen. I immediately saw the pin in the e-file, due to his weak Queen move. I knew that his first intention would be not to give me the d-file back, and to harass my Queen once more. So I played Qh3-d7, hoping he would overlook the pin. Which he did: 31.Rd6 Qxd6 and I won.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger Polly said...

Gotta love it when someone walks into something like that. A classic hope chess move, but what was there to lose by trying? Far better to try for a cheapo that works then to struggle vainly in a crappy position. Why lose slowly if you can win quickly?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home