Friday, October 26, 2007

Too Much Respect For An IM

I'll take my time for reviewing my games of past Winterthur Chess Week, and this one is the first position to review. Well, my opponent of first round is not (yet) an IM but he left some IMs behind him in the final standing. This is the position after move 10 of Black. I was White.

diagram

(White to move)

I moved 11.Ne3 because I wanted to keep the Knights against his (bad) bishops and said to myself my position is not bad and after all he must win so he must make the game. In retrospect I must say that nothing had been more wrong. It came out that both of us moved around without a real good plan, up to move 35 where the position still was equal but both of us in time trouble. I lost a pawn, then blundered a piece. That was it.

Instead, I had excellent chances to dominate the middlegame by 11.e4-e5, creating a strong pawn outpost and chasing his Knight. After 11.-Nd5 12.Qe2 the outpost is overprotected in a Nimzowitsch manner and cannot be taken by a piece, and when it is attacked by a pawn, for instance by d7-d6, it advances further e5-e6, putting pressure on f7. I guess this is very unpleasant for Black who has to defend carefully and is far away from making his game.

I should have followed a saying of Charly, one of my club pals: You must keep your opponent busy. Also I forgot that attack is the best form of defense. I think that this important lesson was worth losing the game.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Glenn Wilson said...

From a quick look at the diagram I rather prefer the move you made of Ne3 with the idea of a k-side attack. White can mass all of his minors plus Queen on the k-side in fairly short order. White can probably get in f4 (and maybe g4, if that makes sense) to gain k-side space. I'd be curious to see how the game continued...

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Polly said...

I also like the move you made. It seems after e5, Nd5 you have to be concerned with Bxc4. White ends out with doubled pawns and the pawn on e5 is being attacked twice. Assuming you play Qe2 after Nd5, you now have the queen acting as baby sitter to your e pawn.

One thing I've noticed about playing masters even when both of us seem to be playing aimlessly, the master will survive time trouble better then us mere mortals. I've tossed many an even position against higher rated players because of time pressure implosions. It usually starts with dropping a mere pawn, and then all hell breaks loose.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Christian said...

I admit that Ne3 has been more cautious but it came out that my attack dreams did not come true due to Black playing himself e7-e5.

I admit also that a minor piece is a better outpost than a pawn, and I have no clear plan with my pawn e5 besides that it bothers Black's play and I can set up more pressure behind it, coming into action as soon as pawn e5 is traded away. Also the idea of Bc1-f4 is nice, threatening advance of e5-e6 at a given time.

After black bishop takes knight, I don't think my double pawn is bad because d-file opens for attack, and Black gives away the advantage of the bishop pair.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Chess Teacher said...

It is very understandale, but in chess only the position on the board is relevant. It doesn't matter who is on the other side f the board.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home