Sunday, October 14, 2007

Chess Week Telegram

winterthur chess week

First Round
White against young Hungarian (2200) defending Sicilian. I have pressure, opponent fearing my attack but I play wait and see for a draw. Equal game until move 30, then mutual time trouble, I lose material and resign. (0/1)

Second Round
Black against senior (1500), I defend Queen's Indian against his Colle system. Clear advantage after the opening, but he does not fight but gives up at move 19. Strange. (1/2)

Third Round
White against youngster (2000) defending French, quite passively but I miss some good tempo moves, equal game after the opening. I have pressure but not sufficient for a win. Draw by repetition in the middlegame. (1.5/3)

Fourth Round
Black against Serbian routinier (2000), Ruy Lopez, he refutes my doubtful variant that I decide to abandon after this game. I suffer right from the opening, try all the best and fight until time control at move 40. Lost Queen endgame with a piece down and no perpetual check. (1.5/4)

Fifth Round
White against club pal (1600) defending Caro-Kann, I use the Nimzowitsch strategem of overprotected outpost (see diagram) on a semi-open file and get a winning middlegame, snatch two pawns and should have won the endgame but run into his counterplay with doubled rooks threatening mate, so I must resort to perpetual check. (2/5)


Black to move.

Sixth Round
Black against a young guy (2000), I defend Queen's Indian but soon switch to Catalan, I lose a center pawn but get some (enough?) compensation in a very tactical middlegame. He spends too much time calculating and finds himself in zeitnot while I can deeply analyze the position on his time. His zeitnot blunder gives me a winning endgame but I manage to find the only losing move. I return to playing good chess while he finds a couple (!) of only (!) moves to let me escape to a draw. Pawn race, Queens endgame where I must kill his plus pawn, avoiding two deadly landmines. Oops! That has been a Hitchcock game! (2.5/6)

Seventh Round
White against a friend of my fourth round Serb (2000) defending Sicilian, I am not yet sure about the best path of the Queen's Knight and lost too many tempi, getting a powerful position all the same but, unfortunately, too late for a tactical shot. Equal middlegame instead, until I put a Bishop offside forever. With virtually a piece down I have no chance to hold the game. (2.5/7)

Eighth Round
Black against a senior (1500) attacking with 1. f4, I have a solid position but so has he, I miss to open it early and weaken my square e5 where he installs an Eternal Knight which I must take out with my Bishop at last. With Bishops of opposite colors the game is dead drawn. (3/8)

Last Round
White against younger guy (1600) defending Petroff which I decline. Quiet and solid development, he does not know what to play and moves around in an underdeveloped position. I have every time in the world to build up a crushing pressure. I win a pawn, then his Knight is trapped, in despair he sacrifices a Bishop and the game ends with a nice tactic threatening his Queen plus checkmate. (4/9)

This is my best result so far, a steady improvement every year: 3 points, 3.5 points, 4 points. I come back to the conclusions in my next posts.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Good luck!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger transformation said...

nice going man!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

When you have time, we're curious of that overprotected outpost "in the wild".

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

TPR = 1826? Gar nicht schlecht!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home