Saturday, September 29, 2007

Understanding Nimzo, Using His System

Temposchlucker has motivated me to pick again Nimzo's "My System" from my shelf. A second reason for doing this is that I have included Nimzoindian defense into my repertoire and I still have some deficits in understanding this concept. The concept of tempo and development is crucial in this opening, and after having read again the first chapters of “My System", I have come to important insights that I want to share with you.

My first, incomplete idea about this opening is Black giving up the bishop pair advantage which is compensated by a double pawn of White. But I did not like that White can “refute" this plan by playing 4.Qc2 (after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4) in order to retake with the Queen, avoiding the double pawn. After 4.-c5, the best move in my opinion, we come to this position:

nimzoindian diagram
White to move. If he wants to win the bishop pair, he must invest a second tempo by 5.a3, Black takes Bxc3 and after 6.Qxc3 he is still two tempi ahead. And he gets even more after 6.-cxd4 7.Qxd4 Nc6 the Queen is forced to her fourth move and Black has a substantial lead in development. The ideas behind all these moves have been described in detail in the first chapters of “My System", using other openings, sometimes with unsound play of amateurs, but this is really great in this book: A GM who is ready to comment on patzer moves in order to make his ideas as clear as possible.

Aha, now I have got why theory does not recommend 5.a3 but 5.dxc5 Bxc5 and Black keeps his bishop pair. Thus, I think that 4.Qc2 is not the best idea of White.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Interesting analysis: I played the Nimzo-Indian for a couple of weeks and was always surprised that people didn't play Qc2 very often. It always scared me the most as black.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

As white I always find these lines to be annoying. Since the knight doesn't need to be on c3 immediately, I would always play Nf3 first and meet Bb4+ with Bd2.

One thing about the Nimzo-Indian, it's very flexible. There are so many playable lines on each side.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Christian said...

Loomis, against Nf3 I plan the Queen's Indian and I think the GMs in fact often give the Bishop check but after Bd2 they do not take but retire with Be7 because the Bd2 is considered ill-posted, thus not being a tempo loss. I must take a look at these lines before the tournament begins.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger transformation said...

regular blogging again indeed!

i will move you back up in my tool bar, which helps me know what to read and how often.

regards, dk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home