Sunday, September 02, 2007

A Knight's Game

In my last Swiss Team Championship game I had an easy win against a kid who played quite well for twelve moves but then missed to attack my opposite-castled King. As White he was to move in this position:

position

White to move.

He did not know what to do and the game went on 1.Nb5 a6 2.Nc3 Nd4 3. Rc1 Rxg5 4.Bxg5 Nf3+ gaining material and winning easily.

White's best move would have been 1.Ne6 with discovered attack on my unprotected Knight f6. But Black has a nice tactic to parry this attack. Do you see it?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger transformation said...

forgive my inclusion off topic, but time to time, i have big posts, as you do, and this one today aught not to disappoint. warmly, dk

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

My first instinct was Ne6 Rxh4 gxh4 fxe6, but this fails due to Rxh4 Nxg7. Instead, I think the right answer is Ne6 Bxf2+ Kxf2 fxe6 Bxf6 Rf7, pinning and winning the bishop. A better try for white is Ne6 Bxf2+ Kg2 fxe6 Bxf6 Bxe1 Bxg7 Rh7 Bxe5 Nxe5 Rxe1 and now black can snatch a pawn with Nxc4 or can penetrate with the rook by Nf3 followed by Rh2+.

Is there something better for black?

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Christian said...

You got it, Loomis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home