Thursday, September 20, 2007

Anti-Sicilian Overhauled

For many years I have attacked the Sicilian with the Morra Gambit, trying to put the defender out of his book strategy. The results have been mixed, wins against stronger opponents as well as pathetic losses against weaker opponents. Against careful, cautious and patient defenders a gambiteer has a hard life because the compensation for the pawn has a tendency to melt away like a piece of chocolate in the sun.

Thus, in a G-25 game recently, I decided all of a sudden to try out a "normal" Sicilian. Still, I do not like to comply with the black plan of trading the c- against the d-pawn. My new strategy against the Sicilian looks like this:

diagram

The main idea is building a center fortress on the light squares with d3 (avoiding the black exchange plan) but then the light-squared bishop becomes bad, so I must get rid of it at the expense of the bishop pair. At the moment, it may pin the knight c6, and if Black a6, then I trade Bxc6.

The strategy is to keep the center closed as long as possible (a knighty position), castle 0-0, then Re1 and bring the second knight to an attacking position by Nbd2-f1-g(e)3.

My first try with this strategy has been a plain success, I won against a stronger opponent. Well, dear Morra Gambit, it is time to say farewell. We had a good time together, but now I am ready to go ahead for new adventures.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I have adopted the same philosophy,to abandon the SM by trading the whitesquared bishop and to play d3. I play the GPA with 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 d6 3.f4 Nc6 4.Nf3 g6 5.Bb5

The pawn is on f4 so you can sneak out with the queen via e1.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home