Friday, June 15, 2007

Farewell CTS

This post has been overdue for a long time. Weeks, oh no, it is months ago, I have been a CTS addict. I knew all the time that it is (too) demanding, hours went by, but I always hoped that it would boost my tactical skills.

I think it did to a certain extent. But at OTB games I had to learn two bitter lessons. Looking at a board and looking at a diagram makes a huge difference. And solving tactical puzzles and taking strategic plans in a game make even a greater difference.

After excessive CTS training and zero games for a while I had a losing streak. But after a while without CTS I have the impression that all this thousands of tactical motives have sunk into the deepness of my brain. I have to forget them. They must become part of my subconscious brain. And this may require time.

Thus, even without using CTS at the moment, I expect its positive effect to take place in the future, when I stumble upon tactical motives of all kind in my games.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I said goodbye to CTS a few months ago. Having a break did me a wealth of good. Now I can look with new eyes to the route I have to follow from now on.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

There is a definite danger of overdosing at CTS. Especially if you allow it to affect your ego -- desiring a high CTS rating or other CTS success can cause us to forget that the purpose is to train for better chess. I admit I have to remind myself of that from time to time.

Enjoy returning to playing chess games!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger transformation said...

exactly. i am cutting way back.

i continue there, but as a warm up and exercies for short period, not hours. of course, it does have its charm.

at the same time, in physical, human, economic, and informatonal systems, the law of large numbers 'comes to roost', that is to say, deminishing returns, and when we get involved in a chess addiction (me too!) that takes us from live chess, it is of course, as you wisely say, time to take a break if not stop all together.

success ego. yea, thats me for sure. :)

warmest, dk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home