Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Turning the Situation

Yesterday, as White, I once more played my Morra Gambit. My opponent decided to trade pieces as fast as he could as soon as he was a pawn up. But I got a nice compensation with the bishop pair and an advance in development. I was not quite sure if this would be enough, until we came to this situation after move 15 of Black:

diagram

At first I considered the meak retreat to f3, but at second glance (checks, captures, threats, you know) I saw that Nxe6 wins the pawn back and gives White an edge with his bishop pair in a quite open position. Of course it was still a long road, but in the end I booked the full point.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

How about Nxf7 in that position? Nxf7 Rxf7 Qxg6 with the dual threats of Bxe6 and Bxh6. Nxf7 Kxf7 Qf5+! and Qxg6 next. I haven't looked what happens if black declines to take the knight on f7.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

I rejected this because of Nxf7 Qxf7 and my knight is gone whereas Ng6 is safe.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

Aha! I missed Qxf7, thanks :-).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home