Thursday, May 10, 2007

Believing In Resources

My experience with Evans Gambit is not the best these days. Several games lost. Yesterday again I had the opportunity als White, and I took it. And yes, I took all my courage and played a compromised, that is, give no less than three pawns for a stormy attack (one usually is gained back). I really did not know the theory. I just knew that this gambit is full of resources. I did not anticipate them, just felt that they must be there. After my 11th move we came to this position:

diagram

Black to move and look for a salvage

Can you fine one? My opponent couldn't. He took very long on this position, and the longer I evaluated it, the more I came to the conclusion that Black has no really good choice. A piece is hanging, and he cannot castle. Finally he decided to postpone the task to one move later and played Nxd5. After exd5 he had the dilemma of losing the knight or getting checkmated. He continued Ne5 and after Qe3 he gave up.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

You should get a good book on Evans. I've just ordered Play the Evans Gambit myself (which is supposed to be a very good book about it) since i am also interested in the Evans.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Hmmm thanks Edwin, I just wait a bit until you tell me that the book is worth reading. The comments at Amazon are not bad so far.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger BlunderProne said...

I think the key for black is to excahnge down and simplify. Nxd5 for starters. followed by c6 ...but perhaps I am missing something?

Black's position is backwards due to the development advantage white has. The material pawn advantage won't be realized until the position is simplified and the queens are off the board

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Blunderprone, this does not help either: After Nxd5 exd5 the knight is hanging and mate in 2 is threatened by Qe3. Also the Ba5 remains unprotected after the knight leaves c6 and may be subject to double threats.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger transformation said...

glad to see you back to chess writing! how goes the CTS?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home