Friday, April 27, 2007

Refuting an Optical Advantage

After a bad losing streak I have been confronted with this position yesterday, after having declined a King's gambit. The center avalanche of White looks impressive and I already was preparing my mind for another hard fight, probably a loss. But then, more and more, I came to the conclusion that it does only look like an advantage, but may be not really threatening. Just look at the King in the center.



Black to move

After one or two minutes I saw the tactical counterstike Nxe4 which destroys the pawn avalanche, leaving White with serious problems due to the exposed King. I used five more minutes to visualize and double-check the future position. White was so shocked that after Nxe4 Nxe4 d5 he missed to take the pawn. The game went on Bb3? dxe4 Ng5 Qxe4 and already I was two pawns up. I won the game in 28 moves.

What makes me happy about this game is the fact that my opponent had played as I usually do, i.e. launching a heavy attack, and has lost as I usually do, running into a counterstrike. I have always thought that I am a White player. But this game has brought me to love Black. Black is beautiful. I am looking forward to my next black game.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

Very nice! I think you could call white's position an optical illusion.

I think you probably saw during the game that afer Nxe4 Nxe4 d5 Bxd5 Qxd5 white is in serious trouble with the knight on e4 and the pawn on d4 hanging. Re8+ is on the way and your dark squared bishop is a menace!

When you do an undefended pieces scan, do you identify e4 and c4 in this position where you play Nxe4?

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger transformation said...

nice work. bravo! warmly, dk

ps i wrote a big piece today, and hope you stop by!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Right, Loomis, e4 is undefended because attacked once and defended once (sum = zero) and c4 is undefended in the classical sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home