Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Resource-Oriented Thinking

When I look back at my last post I have my doubts. I find it too negative and hence not very useful for improving in chess. Instead of making a science of ghosts and other faultology (another title of a post of mine more than a year ago) I am convinced that it is better to just ignore faults and better concentrate on skills and other resources, such as focus, patience and discipline.

Each fault has a positive counterpart, a complementary resource. Take for example the well-known «quiescence error» which can be replaced by the positive term «sense for a critical position». Instead of avoiding «retained image» I better should sharpen my skill to «clear squares» not longer covered by pieces. Tunnel vision? No, overview. Counting error? No, counting skill. Pattern blindness? No, pattern recognition.

Made a fault? Blundered? No, no, just found an opportunity to improve next time.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Mate? No, it´s just a game.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Said Kramnik after his queen move. I think he got the point.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

One more important point, Tempo: You will handle near-mates better if you are not too much shocked by a mate. Danger is fun. Let's have it in chess, while in real life you may be dead after the fun. Every week we have dead young car hooligans after illegal street races in Switzerland. They better should have played chess.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

I have just recently started to enjoy defending against crazy attacks. I used to crap the bed. Now I calm down, and look for the best continuation, trying to trust my opening, that it is solid, that there should be a refutation if I played well.

If the attack is near the end, I still get freaked out as it often means I'm in serious trouble.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Blue,

... recently started to enjoy defending ...

I think this will bring you one or even more steps forward. Defense is the key to a successful attack, because you must foresee the strongest defense if you want to crush a position. Also you must use your forces very efficiently for defense so that a maximum is left for attack. And if you decide to go for a tactic it is of vital importance to see the possible refutations.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger transformation said...

time to catch up with you sir. i promise to be back here more often again.

if i may please ask, if you havent seen my last two posts, maybe take a glance. this is stuff you and i have touched on or worked on, and value your input, commentary, validations, or to say what is not being said.

im back at blogger often again, and the break did me good, but like i said, catching up mr. 'not jim', mousetrapper or looktwice himself! dk

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger transformation said...

99.0000% for your 9,999 tries at CTS. incredible. congrats. dk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home