Friday, February 02, 2007

The Energy Physics of Chess

Today, considering why I did not find the best move 15 in my last game, I had a beautiful insight. In chess, like in physics, there are two forms of energy: potential and kinetic. Potential energy is a superior position. Kinetic energy is tactics. You cannot get the kinetic energy of a tactic if you do not accumulate the potential energy of a positional advantage before.

So far so good, not very new. But what I have seen in my game is that the thing is reversible, just like a pendulum, swinging back and forth. Sometimes a tactic is not sufficient to gain material or checkmate, because it can be parried. But in doing so, a new weakness emerges: The kinetic energy of tactics is again stored in potential or positional form. This, in turn, can be exploited later by a new tactic.



My general plan here was to threaten queen checkmate at h2, but I rejected this because the Knight f3 protects the King. Fruitless! Really? In fact, 15.-Qc7 would have been an excellent move, threatening 16.-Nd4 (removal of the guard f3).

Of course White can parry this, but only by chasing my Knight outpost with h3, weakening seriously the dark squares around his King. But unfortunately I have not been aware that it is possible to use tactics for getting an even stronger positional advantage.

Like a pendulum, swinging back and forth.

BTW Shredder prefers 15.-c4 here, but I like Qc7 much better, because there is a clear and understandable concept behind this move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home