Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Winning With Troubles

Yesterday I won a club game, but I cannot be very proud of the way I did it. After 15 moves I had this position:



Black to move for big advantage

There are two good candidates, one of them making use of a beautiful tactic. What do you think? Comments are open ...

I chose none of them but Ā«patzer sees check, patzer prepares checkĀ» with Bb6. My opponent launched a fruitless attack with his queen, and three moves later we were here, again Black to move:



Now I found the right continuation 18. - c4, making use of the principle that you should parry a wing attack with a counterstrike in the center. My move undermines the pawn e4.

Things went up and down, again I let slip my advantage, and finally my opponent blundered a bishop. Well not finally, because the game went for another forty (!) moves. I played it safe, but not strong. That is, whenever I had the opportunity to trade a piece, I traded a tempo. I could have built up stronger pressure and then trade all in a rush. But as it was, I traded, let some counterplay, stopped it by effort, traded again, stopped again counterplay, and so on.

Not my least effort was not to lose patience and let him play until bishop plus two pawns down with zero counterplay. In chess, as a winner, you are obliged to be patient to your loser, whatever he does or how long he likes to play. Even if he captures your pawn just before queening and then resigns so that you cannot recapture. Everybody has his psycho strategy for coping with loss.

4 Comments:

At 4:01 AM, Blogger Nezha said...

Nd4 will be my choice. It will distract the knight from its duties protecting the king. After that.. you will have a strong attack with ideas like Qh5, Bc2, exd4, etc.. The trick is figuring out the correct move order , but if these moves can be made uninterrupted, the resulting attack will be very strong.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Nezha, yes, but White just takes the Knight: 16. Nxd4 cxd4 and then launches a counter-attack 17. Qf4 aiming at the weak point f7. Black may still be a bit better, but not much.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I don't see it.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Just a hint. Nezha is on the right trip. But it must be prepared.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home