Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Two Games In One

Yesterday, in our club championship, I was White against a 1720. He knows zero theory but is able to survive against weaker players. Well, I was up 2 pawns from move 10. This was the end of the first game and the begin of the second.

In earlier days, in such situations, I always became euphoric with the very, very bad mentality that «the game was over» because I had «already won». I had to learn my lessons and lost many second games. Just because I was not aware that only the first game had been over, and that a second game has begun, which is completely different.

«If you are winning, it is a completely different game.»

A very important point, brought up by Dan Heisman in one of his older Novice Nook columns at chesscafe.com. The most important point is that security and the conservation of the advantage and the destruction of every possible counterplay are first goals, and that all other considerations become secondary.

My second game lasted three times longer than the first, about 30 moves. I played it solidly most times. Once or twice I lost some time with pawn moves. Pawn moves with material advantage are potentially dangerous, because they may allow the opponent to open the position and get counterplay. Furtunately, this was not the case, and finally I had my pawn endgame with still two pawns up and won with move 45.

At a board to my left side I watched how a second game should not be played: He was the Exchange plus a pawn up but allowed a counterattack with Rook and Knight against his King which ended drawn in an eternal check.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home