Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Bad Psychology

In my last club game I had won two pawns in the early middlegame. It looked like an easy win, but then I blundered back a pawn. Then we came to this position:



(Black to move and win)

Of course I looked at 38.-Rd3+ but then I calculated that after 39.Rxd3 exd3 40.Kf3 the King is in the square of the pawn. Quiescence error! I stopped here because I did not want to give my pawn Ā«for nothingĀ». I still was somewhat angry with myself because I had given one pawn for nothing earlier in the game. I overlooked the paralyzing tactic 40.-f4 and the poor King cannot make a move and just has to wait for g5 hxg hxg followed by g4, and d3 is a young queen.

Well it was a win anyway, not so elegant, but who cares. A point is a point. Since my queen loss at the tournament I have not lost one of five slow games. At CTS my new record is 206 solved in a row.

See the game here ...

2 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

The move f4 is a standard endgame technique when pawns with one file in between have to protect each other(I know, not a very useful comment)

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Irony of the story: I even have a name for it: flank protection. Better get it than name it. Well, I hope next time ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home