Monday, October 30, 2006

Opening Tactics

Openings are not my main weakness. In most games I manage to get a decent play even against stronger opponents, as the start game of my last tournament shows.

But the tournament has also shown that I have a severe opening weakness: tactics. It has two main sources, as far as I can see now. Firstly, I am not yet tuned to tactics in the opening. My main goal is a fast positional development. Secondly, I try to move fast in the opening in order to gain time for the middle game and probably for the endgame.

A typical example of this weakness is my 3rd round swindle. I must confess that I saw the tactic immediately, but I also saw that it would involve a queen swap. Instead of looking deeper at it I decided quite quickly to play for mate and to keep queens on the board. This was easily refutated and I ended in a middlegame without queens and without tactics.

I managed to win at last, but only because I set a trap using a tactic. Against a stronger opponent this would not have worked.

The lesson to be learned from this game is: Stay tuned for tactics from the very first move! As soon as a possible tactic emerges, use some extra time on your clock.

3 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

That first game looked winning for you.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

I have had to slow down in the opening and look for more tactics. I have started following Heisman's rule: in the first move in the opening where I am not completely certain about what to do, I slow down and think.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger SamuraiPawn said...

Hi there!

I’m trying to solve some problems with my new template and wondered if you could help me out. Could you please check out my blog and see if the layout is as it is supposed to, that is with the title “Samurai Chess” at the top of the page.

It seems that people with Internet Explorer 6.0 or older has problems viewing the page correctly, namely some problems with the scrolling function which puts the title and posts further down on the page.. Some have updated their IE to the new 7.0 which seems to have worked out fine. Please get back to me if you experience any problems.

Thanks!

Sincerely

/Chris aka Samuraipawn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home