Thursday, September 14, 2006

Two Mothers Of All Patterns

After my farewell to never-ending lists I have been thinking a lot about how to find a new way to deal with the tens of thousands of pattern variations that are presented on the board. Storing them all in the memory cannot be the way. But what else?

Well, I just try the opposite. Instead of looking at all the different variations I try to see what they have in common. I have boiled them all down to just two mothers of all tactical patterns:
  1. Restriction: Making use of the restricted mobility of a pinned, overworked or trapped piece. This can also be called slow tactics because, typically, it is done in two stages: First setting the trap (mating net) or the pin, then attacking. Special cases: normal checkmate, stalemate. Defensive tactics: Escape, depinning.

  2. Acceleration: Doing two jobs with one move (double attack, attack plus defense, double defense) or overcharging the opponent with two jobs that he cannot do at once (overfeeding by two hanging pieces that cannot be taken at once). This can also be called fast tactics because tempo gain is involved. Special cases: Double check, double checkmate.

When I remember the most frequently asked question of mine when I see a new problem at Chess Tactics Server, it is this one: Can I take time for this job because the problem has no defense against it, or must I play fast (in an accelerated way) in order to prevent a defense?

This is my reason to believe that the Ā«mothers of all patternsĀ» are not just a useless theory but, in contrary, may help me to improve.

3 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Yeah, those Mothers can cause a babyboom if you allow them to breed:)

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Not only this. It is even possible in chess that a certain baby has more than one mother! Restriction can be combined with acceleration, and vice versa. I am very curious to what all this will lead me...

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger SamuraiPawn said...

"I am very curious to what all this will lead me..."

If you stare long enough into the abyss...the abyss will stare right back at you...be careful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home