Friday, August 25, 2006

Quick Eye, Slow Hand

Tempo's comment on my last post tells me that I have to make certain things clear. That is, the difference between a quick eye and a quick hand. Both may be labelled as speed, but this is very misleading.

I do not remember who gave this advice: When you play chess, you must sit on your hands! If I would have to choose the ten golden rules of chess, this one would be among them, this is for sure.

I completely agree with Tempo that a quick eye is the key to tactical success. It is also clear for me that a quick eye is the key to accuracy. Just because the more patterns you see per amount of time, the smaller the danger that you miss an important one.

If there is any difference in our approaches to CTS, then it is the time required to actually move, or the quick versus the slow hand. In my last post I have compiled seven reasons for choosing the slow hand approach. Today I think that matters are much simpler. There is only one reason:

Not training the bad habit of hope chess at CTS.

2 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I see what you mean. Moving too fast or playing hope chess has never been a n inclination of mine. Actually the contrary. So moving my hand slow would drag my mental processes down and hence it would slow down my eye.
But you describe a common problem indeed.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger St. Patzer said...

Yep. I lost my second ever OTB game purely on the touch-move rule (lost a rook for nothing). I knew the rule but was day dreaming about a move 5 moves hence .. lost discipline , its a terrible way to loose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home