Saturday, July 15, 2006

Scientific Test, Part I: Introduction

Success in chess, imho, is built upon four main elements:
  1. Tactical fitness (pattern recognition, calculation)
  2. Knowledge (opening repertoire, endgames, strategic rules, experience)
  3. Thought process (useful heuristic to find the best move in the given time)
  4. Mental strength (ability to cope with stress, time trouble etc.)

Tactical fitness: MDLM has described a method of gaining it. CTS is a very useful training tool. I don't see how this can further be optimized. Repetition is the key to success.

Knowledge: This is a never ending task but has to be limited. If you lack tactical fitness, even a huge amount of knowledge will not help you.

Mental strength: A mental trainer surely would help, but I have none. So I must rely on myself. Learn how to win and how to lose. Gain self-confidence. Learn patience, and all the like.

Thought process: I am convinced that in any chess position there must be an optimal search strategy (or heuristic) to find the candidate move that will, after tactic calculation prove, finally come out as best move.

I have tried to find a simple method of searching and ranking targets. My assumption is that the top ranked target must be the key to the best move. This is a hypothesis, and therefore it should be possible trying to falsify it in a scientific test. In my next posts I shall use the scheme of a scientific publication, starting with the objectives of my study, a description of my methods so that they can be replicated by fellows in a sort of peer review process, then post my results, discuss them in detail and finally come to a conclusion. There will be two possibilities:

A: If my hypothesis must be rejected, we all will be smarter than before, and the work may start again with the never ending hope to find a really useful thought process.

B: If my hypothesis cannot be falsified by the test, this will be no proof in the strict sense of Sir Carl Popper. But this won't bother me because I'll put science aside, being eager to make things change in my practical games.

1 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

It's good to see how every Knight works along a different line. Our combined efforts make us move much faster than when we worked alone. Your posts are always very inspiring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home