Thursday, June 01, 2006

Overworked and Superhero pieces

I need sort of scientific framework in order to understand the complicated world of chess. So I developed a classification of overworked pieces. A piece can do five different jobs: A) cover (protect) another piece, B) cover an important square, C) capture a piece, D) access an important square, E) disrupt a line or diagonal. Point E shows that a pin is just a special case of an overworked piece. With full combinations, there are no less than 15 different types of overworked pieces.

When I first tested this new framework using a game that I had lost some time ago, I made a startling discovery. The poor, helpless overworked pieces have their mighty counterparts. I call them superhero pieces. They successfully do two jobs at the same time. My superhero in that game was my queen. She had been so powerful as to protect a bishop of mine and a hanging pawn at the same time. Because from the square of my bishop, after recapture, the queen covers the pawn. Of course the bishop must gain a tempo going to that square in order to prevent my pawn being captured. All this had been on the board, but I missed it. Made a passive queen move to protect the pawn. One of the many reasons I lost that game. By the way, my queen had been a superhero of the AA type.

Update: BTW the 15 (theoretical) types are: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, BB ... EE. Some of them, such as EE, may never occur in a game. See the Superhero Queen in the game of my next post: 16. Bg4 Bxg4 17. Qxg4 and protects the pawn c4!

2 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Blogger generalkaia said...

interesting. so superhero pieces simply can continue their function even after being forced to move? i like the concept.

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Where does the figure 15 come from?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home