Friday, February 03, 2006

Breaks and Drops

I have been pausing at CTS for various periods of time. First for 2 months, then, after some weeks of regular exercise, again for 2 weeks. My last break was a week. It is interesting to see how my performance dropped and recovered. Today, I had a drop for some 10 problems, then I recovered and raised my rating by 15 points. My 2 week break has been more serious, and for the 2 months break I had paid 50 lost points.

The one and only reason of these drops is speed. I use more time just to see what is the matter on the board. Long time no chess means so silly questions as, hm, this is not sudoku, this is chess, and where is the king, and, ooh, there are queens around. Oh, many pawns. Hm, hm, they move in what direction? I am black? Mine move upwards or what?

Well the 6 seconds have gone, the problem makes its move. And I am still staring at these silly symbols on the screen, wondering what this is all about.

This is the bad story. The good story is: Once I have got the task, I see the motifs and I get the solution in most cases correctly. So, even after a long break at CTS, it could be that I am stronger in a slow game than before.

But now it is time to start again exercising on a regular basis at CTS, even if it is only 20 problems a day!

2 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I did CTS very regular before the Corus tournament. During the tournament I didn't train. After the tourney my rating at CTS dropped by 30 points, in spite of 9 days of chess. It seems to have a good influence on my succesrate though.

Your attempt to infect me with the Sudoku virus failed. Due to your post I solved 3 puzzles, but I'm glad I recognized the danger of addiction just in time:)

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Yeah it is addictive. I have reached the evil level at websudoku.com (I print out and solve by pencil), but the one I downloaded yesterday seems too hard to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home