Monday, October 10, 2005

Tournament Telegram (Mid-Phase)

Fourth game: 0 :(
October 10. Senior, 1850, kind guy. Had some smalltalk before. I have White, and again get a Morra Gambit declined. I've had a bad sleep last night and got up very early to bring my wife to the airport. Felt tired all day, played fast because I had not the energy to think long. Plus I violated some opening principles just as in my old days before any training. This was punished fast, and I deserved it. Period. Next game, please ...
Total Score: 1/4

Fifth game: 1
October 11. Kid, 1750. I have Black, and the young gambiteer (!) happens to play the same as I did yesterday, the only difference being my 1. - e5 instead of c5. Of course I decline, and of course with the same idea that worked so well against me yesterday: push pawn to d3. I feel strong, and the +5 gain in 30 CTS problems this morning give me even more confidence. The kid rides a bravehearted attack, and I have to be very careful. But then he moves a defender to attack, and quite soon I spot the 2 unguarded pawns. My queen forks them, discovering a rook that x-rays his queen. In his further attack I force him to rook swaps, and we are in a queen endgame with me a pawn up. And this time my endgame technique is sufficient to show that it is a win. Woohoo!
Total Score: 2/5

Sixth game: 1/2
October 12. A 1720 guy, I have Black again, Queen's Gambit which I accept as usual. Equal position, then I take risks to gain a pawn at the cost of a pawn weakness. He plays it clever and exploits the weakness, at the end I am a pawn down in a Knights endgame. I defend well this time and manage to completely block the position. If he wants to win he must take risks, but he agrees to a draw.
Total Score: 2.5/6

Conclusion of the mid-phase
Success rate of 50% despite a total blackout at round 4. I still have the chance to get a tournament performance of 50%. I played two fine endgames and with Black I was still fine. Up to now I am quite happy with my performance.

5 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Keep fighting. You've got some stiff competition. Eventually they'll accept that gambit and it will be curtains!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I had the same sort of slump the 4th day of my tournament. This is very common. I managed to overcome it by training at CTS every morning, untill the brains got awake!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Montse said...

A goodnight rest must help you a lot.
Good luck with next games.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I found a game from your 7th round opponent with black from 2002.
Only you don't play 1.c4, do you?

1. c4 c5 2. g3 Nf6 3. Bg2 Nc6 4. Nf3 b6 5. O-O Bb7 6. d3 g6 7. Nc3 e6 8. e4 e5
9. Nh4 Bg7 10. f4 d6 11. f5 Nd4 12. a3 O-O 13. b4 a5 14. Rb1 Bc6 15. b5 Bb7 16.
Rb2 Nd7 17. Bh3 g5 {#} 18. f6 Bxf6 19. Nf5 Nxf5 20. Bxf5 Kg7 21. Qh5 h6 22.
Rbf2 Nb8 {#} 23. Bc8 Bxc8 24. Rxf6 Qxf6 25. Rxf6 Kxf6 26. Nd5+ Kg7 27. Bxg5 Nd7
28. Qxh6+ Kg8 29. Ne7# 1-0

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Thanks for the service, Tempo. No I don't play 1. c4, but anyway it is a nice game and he got mated. But I found in Chessbase online what he plays against 1.e4, and I suppose this will be an Evans Gambit today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home