Sunday, September 25, 2005

A miniature of mine

Yesterday, Swiss Team Championship, I had White, my opponent was a guy I remembered years ago in the open air chess scene on the «Lindenhof», 10 minutes from main station, on a hill. If ever you are in Zurich, and the weather is fine, ask the way to the «Lindenhof» and enjoy kibitzing.

Jean his name. And here is the game.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6.

I was happy, because my last attack against the Two Knights Defense was more than a year ago. My database of this variation is very small, but with a 100% success rate.

4. Ng5.

One of my team pals told me after the game that our IM calls this move incorrect, so next time I see him I must ask him for a prove. Anyway ...

4. - d5 5. exd5 Nxd5 6. Nxf7 Kxf7 7. Qf3+.

The famous Fegatello (Fried Liver) gambit. Now Black MUST protect his Knight with Ke6, but Jean moved ...

7. - Ke8? I am clearly better:
8. Bxd5 with double threat on f7 and c6. Jean guards the mate, but not the piece:
8. - Qe7?? throws away the game.

After thousands of problems on CTS I saw in 3 seconds that I had won and how. I mean, I could have blitzed to win in less than a minute. But this was a slow game, controls 120 min. in 40 moves, 60 min. for the rest. I used a minute or two not to think about my move, but stunning and hardly believing my eyes. But it was real, not a dream, and so I took the piece:

9. Bxc6+ Bd7 10. Bxd7+ (eliminate every possible counterplay, the pawns can wait, I can take them later)
10. - Qxd7 11. 0-0 c6 12. Qh5+ g6??

Jean does not want to lose, he wants to lose fast.

13. Qxe5+ 1-0

Our team won 5.5-0.5. We are number 2 in our group and can play for promotion from the 4th to the 3rd league. We have to play against a team with players mostly higher rated than we. The game will take place october 22.

2 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Way to go, Mousetrapper! What does it mean by your team getting promoted?

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Pawn Sensei said...

Congrats!

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home