Thursday, September 29, 2005

20 points in 20 days

To answer Tempo's question in his last comment: Yes, CTS training seems to work. Not only I feel better, not only I spot more patterns in shorter time, but also my rating is increasing steadily, with a speed of one point a day. Coincidence or not, this is exactly the speed that MDLM promises with his training method. In the last 20 days (6000 problems done) my rating increased by 20 points, and in most sessions the band of variation was as narrow as 20 points or even less. The only question is: Can I maintain this for another 300 days, or will I suffer from downslips and backlashes? Time will tell.

4 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

Now that you mention it... I never looked at it that way. 1 point a day i mean. thus ending up 400 points higher after 400 days. Duh :)

But i think MDLM wasn't refering to the kind of rating you go by. I don't think your CTS rating will reflect anything apart from that.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

IMHO a rating point at CTS is at least worth a rating point anywhere. Leader Frizz (Highest CTS 1960) is rated 2480 at FIDE. Of course positional abilities must have an adequate level, too.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

One important thing I've noticed about this, Mousetrapper, is that the CTS problems are NOT difficult in the same way as CT-Art 3.0 problems. Yet, what you say is true. My play has gotten much better since I began using CTS.

So, what can we draw from this? We can conclude that Dan Heisman, who is a major proponent of working lots of SIMPLE tactics is more correct than MDLM in the proper approach to tactical improvement.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Interesting point CD. I have not explored CTS as of yet. I am probably going to thrust myself forward into tactics again come winter. I would definitely think that simpler tactics come up more readily than your average four/five move wonders though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home