Tuesday, August 16, 2005

One Hundred Failures, One Single Cause

Half way recovered from summer flu, I resumed CTS yesterday. Wild ups and downs. But one key experience: I saw a quiet mate-in-one threat after 10 seconds, then calculated a variation and found it exposed my King, then calculated deeper in order to find an escape for the King, then, finally, after two minutes, found that I could do the job with a different move, not exposing my King. Lesson learned: First find all candidate moves, only then calculate, beginning with the best candidate. I then looked back at my CTS history and found that 100+ failures can be attributed to neglecting or ignoring candidate moves of my own or of the opponent.

1 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

The problem with candidate moves is, that if you try to find them by thinking, you end up with way too much candidate moves. If you want to check them all, you end up in time trouble. Of course this doesn't bother Slowmouse, who does everything in slowmousion, but it might bother Mousetrapper.
Prof. Adraan de Groot found that grandmasters investigated only two or three candidate moves, while the amateur looked at 6-8 moves at average.
A position will trigger whatever candidate moves are suitable. If this process doesn't work (as with us non-grandmasters) you have to THINK to come up with some candidate moves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home