Tuesday, August 09, 2005

CTS vs. The Circles

Summer flu. Headache. Some days ago I first noticed my performance on CTS drop dramatically, and then realized that I had fever. So focused I was ... Now I have time to spend some thoughts on the question: If I had known CTS, would I have started the Seven Circles of MDLM?

I think I would prefer CTS, mainly because it presents a repetition of tactical patterns without repetition of whole positions, so that learning by memory does not work, which means that learning by pattern recognition is better stimulated.

In the Circles you work with some 1000 positions, with CTS it is some 10000 reachable at a medium rating.

One more advantage: CTS shows you defense problems, these are very rare in most collections of puzzles. There is a main focus on material winning tactics, and the amount of queen sacks is more what you may encounter in your own games. In many combination collections, if you see a queen, you are tempted to ask «Where can I sack it?» Bad question in respect of queens.

And finally, with CTS you do not solve problems, you play against them. They move as any opponent would. This means very game-like conditions.

As a conclusion: MDLM program is good, but CTS is better for training instant pattern recognition, and this was my main motivation of starting the Circles.

2 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I tend to agree with you. I have done some work at CTS now. This morning I had to use the CD of Renko due to internet problems. In comparison to CTS the problems are more complicated in general. This means that the calculation factor plays a bigger role. Before learning complex patterns you have to learn to solve the simple ones a tempo. CTS is a big help here. It's actual a form of extended scanning for tactics in a realistic environment. I don't use the slow way now. My score tends to level at 80% what is good enough for me at this moment. You can only solve a problem within 3 secs if you recognize the pattern instanteneously. No thinking is allowed. My rating drops every night and improves again the next day after much training.
The problems are so simple in general that everyone can solve them given enough time. But to do this in 3 secs is a totally different matter.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Are you still feeling bad?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home