Wednesday, August 24, 2005

CTS rating and OTB rating

Two CTS tacticians made a statement about their OTB rating: buddy2 is mid-1300 on CTS and 1800 OTB (USCF), SveJoe is mid-1600 on CTS and 2000 OTB. It seems that the OTB rating of a player is about 400 points higher than CTS rating. I would estimate that this could be reduced to 200 points for strong blitzers and increased to 500 points for weak blitzers.

As Slowmouse I have 1250 CTS and 1650 OTB, and because Slowmouse has a definite non-blitz strategy the 400 points difference seem reasonable. I wonder how CTS and OTB ratings compare with the other Knights. Statements are welcome!

Update 1 (thanks for comments)
Nabla OTB = CTS+400
Frizz OTB = CTS+600 (!)
Edgy OTB = CTS+500
CelticDeath OTB = CTS (!)
RalfiZoller OTB = CTS+300
Nezha FICS = CTS+300
Generalkaia FICS = CTS+150

Conclusion: The wide difference range (0-600 points) tells us that (a) blitzing abilities vary considerably among the CTS tacticians, and that (b) tactics is just one, not the only key to success, because tactics do not help if a player is unable to create a positional superiority.

Update 2
CelticDeath says he is not a blitzer, but a strong tactician without equal skills in opening, positional and endgame play (see his comment). Frizz gave CTS a try after my invitation, he is a Top 10 Swiss Player (near 2500) - Nabla is only Top 100. To reach this level tactics is a must, but by far not enough. I really wonder how GMs would do on CTS.

10 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I found Nabla (CTS 1908) to be the Swiss master Fabrice Liardet (OTB 2275)

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Edgy: CTS 1667 Fide 2157

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Celtic Death: CTS 1542 OTB 1507 (!)
Ralfizoller: CTS 1724 OTB 2060

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Nezha said...

Im 1420-1490 CTS, FICS standard is 1781. Not 400 points, but close enough to say that there maybe a case for the theory.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I used only OTB ratings from the various chessfederations, because these are better comparable. Chess servers like FICS don't only have rather different ratings, but they often use a calculation system that differs vastly from the FIDE system. National chessfederations use calculation systems with only minor deviations. Besides they are corrected from time to time for rating inflation differences.

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger generalkaia said...

FICS is 1668 and CTS is about 1500.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger SatishTalim said...

I was wondering whether you had the time to play Chess at http://www.redhotpawn.com/
It's free.

I desperately need some practice. In case you can, my UserId is IndianGuru.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Sorry Satish, I am not an online player. But many Knights are, so maybe ask Nezha, Bahus or others.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Mousetrapper, your conclusions are very insightful!! I view myself as a dangerous tactician with hardly a clue about any other aspect of the game! I think that's why I do so well on CTS, but suffer OTB.

I rarely have an opening prepared, and often play openings where I don't really know what I plan to do after about 6 moves into the game. I have some areas of competency in the endgame, but mostly I suck there, too. Position play is starting to make itself evident in my games, but I still have a lot of work to do there.

Plus...I have been doing a LOT of chess study these past several months and have struggled recently incorporating all that into my thought process.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Mouse, how would you declare your own performance at CTS, compared to your OTB rating? Are you good at the other than tactic-aspects of the game?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home