Friday, July 08, 2005

Target Filters

Any piece or square on the board can be a target. After several attempts to make a list of useful targets I try it the other way, to define a sort of formula or algorithm that can be applied on every piece or square and that works as a sort of filter, and the outcome should be either «target» or «no target».

First filter:
What objects can be targets?
  • pieces
  • pawns
  • squares next to the King

Second filter:
An object is a target, if it is either not protected or its defender is
  • a King
  • a Queen
  • attacked
  • pinned
  • overworked
  • compensating an attacker

Third filter: An object is a target, if it
  • is or can in one move be attacked by a piece of less value
  • is under x-ray of a piece of less value

Final filter:
Targets are ready for tactics if
  • two of them can be attacked by one move (fork, discover, ...)
  • they are unable to move (pin, trap, ...)
  • their guards can be removed (deflection, capture, ...)

Yesterday I applied these filters, scanning the whole board after every ply, going through a brillant Korchnoi game, which took me about an hour. The finish was a double piece sacrifice leading to a mate. I had identified all the targets before I saw how Korchnoi made use of them in his combination. Then I applied my target filter to a puzzle I had missed before. After I had identified the targets, the solution was quite obvious. So I feel that I am on the right way.

Board Vision Day 24
X-Ray Jogging: 1.60 sec/scan, 1 hour

3 Comments:

At 2:52 AM, Blogger generalkaia said...

Very nice. I think I will probably use this myself. Where do you come up with all this?

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger JmsLcs said...

Very interesting. Good work.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

Very encouraging.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home