Wednesday, June 15, 2005

X-Ray Vision

Tempo brought up an important issue in his post: invisible patterns. In order to make them visible, what do we need? I think it is x-ray vision! In search of a common concept for the hundreds of patterns I encountered in the Circles, I found that most patterns can be described with just two fundamental principles: Forks and X-Ray. A Fork is a K, Q, R, B, N or Pawn attacking two (or more) targets with one move. An X-Ray is an attack that goes through a piece aiming at a target that lies behind this piece. With these two fundamental principles you can describe skewers and pins. Both are x-ray forks. In skewers the x-rayed piece is of more value, in pins of less value than the target piece. In skewers the x-rayed piece must move, in pins it cannot move except in the direction of the attack. So what I am going to do in my future training is X-Ray Vision. That is, looking not at pieces on the board, but at the squares they attack. That's what computers and grandmasters do, and that's why they beat us all the time.

3 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I'm very curious how it works out. It's indeed all about attacking two targets.

With 1 attacker:
double attack
fork
pin (targets behind each other)
skewer (ditto)

With 2 attackers:
discovered attack
ambush

I have looked for a program that could make the invisible patterns visible, but I couldn't find one.

BTW, your post inspired me too, I am experimenting with a thought process. If I find anything of value, I let you know.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

looked for a program that could make the invisible patterns visible, but I couldn't find one - you got one, it is in your brain ;-)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger JavaManIssa said...

where can i get this so called 'brain program'? :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home