Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Two Keys for Tactics

The parts of the puzzle begin to fit. All the ideas of the Knights Errant, such of the «System» of Temposchlucker, my Board Vision and X-Ray Scans, my wins and losses, all this begin to form a general pattern. The whole issue of tactics is a matter of just two key aspects: First you must have a target, and second you must have a weapon to attack it or, if the target is on your side, to prevent an attack.

What Temposchlucker does in his System is a scan for targets. What I do with my X-Ray Scans is learning to use my weapons better and better, that is, improve my King, Queen, Rook, Bishop, Knight and Pawn Skills. For a tactical success one key is not enough. You always need both of them: See a target, and use the right weapon to attack it.

Finally, you still need a structured Thought Process that tells you when to look for positional or tactical patterns, when to look for defense or look for attack, what to do if you are in the opening, in opposite castled positions, with a closed or an open center, in an endgame, or if you are winning or losing, and how to manage time.

At the moment my training is one part Chess Tactics Server, every single problem that I solve or fail to solve is recorded here, so I won't blog on this. The link to this page is also in my sidebar under Tactics Rating. You even may look for the details of each problem and see how other Knights Errant performed on it. I do roughly 100 problems a day if possible. The main goal of this training is quick target spotting: Loose pieces, forks, skewers, pins, x-rays, zwischenzug, correct sequence of taking, safe check parrying, and the like.

The other part of my training is still X-Ray Jogging as described earlier, my speed at the moment is about 2 seconds/ply.

2 Comments:

At 4:09 AM, Blogger Sancho Pawnza said...

It has taken me a little while to get the hang of the Chess Tactics Server.
It's almost like playing bullet games, the problems move so fast it is hard to see much less think about every possible move. While it is fun and extremely addictive I could see where I would start picking up even more bad habits if I played there too often.
:)

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

You must check both break on failure and break on sucess in your profile, this gives you more time to recover and get focused.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home