Thursday, June 23, 2005

Setting the goal

Dan Heisman, in his article on time management, estimates that triple speed is equal to a gain of 200 Elo. So, if I want to gain 400 points, I should speed up 9-fold.

My training at the moment is what I call Chameleon X-Rays. This means, from all the 64 squares of a crowded board, doing a King, Queen, Rook, Bishop and Knight Scan. I do not know exactly how my speed was at the beginning of my X-Ray Training, but I estimate it 15 to 20 seconds. Let's take 18, so my goal is 2 seconds per chameleon scan.

My Queen Vision has improved dramatically. Now it is no more a problem to have pop out all the squares under control of a Queen at once. I noticed that this pattern recognition has extended beyond the area of sharp vision, I just see at a glance if a piece at the periphery of the board is under the attack of the Queen, even if I do not recognize exactly the piece.

At the moment, my pop-out rate is about 8 squares per second, and my goal is to raise this to 32 squares per second.

Board Vision Day 9
768 Chameleon X-Rays, 7.34 sec/scan

4 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Margriet said...

Hi, I really think you are on a good trail. I've noticed that with the exercises of papa Polgar, I start to develop a totally different vision of the pieces. by example, a king always takes its 9 fields with him when it moves. I try to see on the board now what you advice. can you advice some more exercises? Maybe a good CD?

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Nice picture, Margriet, each piece taking its squares with it when moving, in a handbag, eh? Never again let a piece move without this baggage! Never! Just a small adjustment: a King takes 8 squares, not 9, because the square a piece stands upon is not under its control.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger generalkaia said...

Could you clarify something for me? I can't understand what you mean by doing queen sights after the first moves in a game. You say that you do all 64 squares. If you could state that a little more clearly, that would be great. The thing is, your ideas seem great and you seem to be making progress, but I need a little help understanding it.

GK

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

The need of speeding up many times is widely ignored. But when I developed from rating 1532 to 1751 I felt this speeding up clearly. I think I'm about 10x faster then I was. So it's a good indicator to know if you are making progress. If I speed up another 3x, maybe I'm even going to like blitz games:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home