Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Hey, Knights, have your tactics rated!

Yesterday, when I discovered this Chess Tactics Server, I was really excited. This is great! Not only is it the best way of training tactics that I can imagine, but it also rates you with a system even more sophisticated than Elo, and each of tens of thousands of problems is also rated. The system pairs you with problems that are roughly your level, such as in a Swiss tournament. The problems on my level (1300 to 1400) are mostly very easy, just simple blunders as may occur in any game. It is the stuff that matters OTB. While the stuff generally is very simple, the time is not.

You have 6 seconds to look at the position before the problem makes its move. Then you have 3 seconds for free. After that every second is punished, depending on the rating of the problem. If you need, say, 15 seconds for a problem rated below you, this may be counted less than a draw, and you lose points. It's really hard.

The King of the Knights, at the moment, is JavaManIssa, followed by Bahus, Nezha, myself and, incognito as «prospero», Generalkaia.

All you other Knights Errant are welcome to join the pack!

Update: I have the great pleasure to welcome Knightwizzy, Jadoube, Sancho Pawnza (incognito as Incognito), Celtic Death, Temposchlucker and ... (to be continued)

7 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger JavaManIssa said...

i wonder how i'm the strongest, i suck at tactics!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

java, but you seem to suck very fast! (I suck slow)

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger JavaManIssa said...

/me hopes that was a clean comment >.< and you don't suck (either way i hope), you own :)

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger knightwiz said...

Let's drop this sucking fast and slow chat? It's strange.. haehea

I know this server values more speed, but despite the rating penalties I'm going through the problems relatively) slow, trying to get more correct answers than "fast" answer.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I was trying to make a joke. But it seems that I miss some nuances of the English language. Sorry.

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger Sancho Pawnza said...

Add me to the list.
Incognito is the handle.
Cool site thanks for the link!

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Sancho Pawnza said...

Guess you could say I'm incognito as "Incognito". :)
6 seconds isn't a lot of time to double check your answer(s).
Fun for impulse testing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home