Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Zugzwang

Yesterday and again today I constantly missed patterns that I have missed time and again. This must stop or else I never finish the program! I came to the conclusion that I am a blind that must learn to see, so I will focus my next posts mainly on blind spots.

I think zugzwang ist one of the hardest to see, because it is not a pattern, but the absence of a pattern. You cannot see a zugzwang immediately, you have to calculate. In zugzwang the pattern recognition simply does not work. That's it. Today I had a zugzwang problem where I already knew that the Queen must check and then go to a square forcing zugzwang to opp King, Queen and Pawn. I knew perfectly what to do, but I did not find the square for the Queen. Hard, hard, hard! At least my rate did not drop further.

Day 133 update
Circle 3: 720/1280 solved, average 88%, 1:03 min. p.p., 7 days left

2 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Blogger Margriet said...

What I find interesting is that allthough Tempo plays far better, I see some of the tactical problems in a second while he has to look minutes at it. With other problems Tempo is faster. How come our "blind spots" are so different?

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Hmmm, search image maybe. I'll post later on this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home