Thursday, May 12, 2005

Value of a piece

Asked myself what that bishop of mine was worth, but found no price tag on it! Haha, said our IM, you better look at pawn structure. That's what makes the value of a piece. Well, I said, but there is much tension in these pawns, how can I tell what the structure will be? Wait, said the IM, be patient. Develop your pieces, then push or exchange pawns or be prepared to opp pushes or exchanges. As soon as the pawn structure is more or less stable, find all the strong and weak squares and where all the pieces can go and how easy. The better the perspectives of a piece, the more its value. And do this while your opponent is thinking. Use your own time to evaluate your candidate moves, to calculate forced lines and to do blundercheck. Great positional and endgame hero, our IM. Hope his advice will help me in my game this evening.

Day 142/155 of the MDLM program.
Circle 4: 320/1280 done, 6 days left
Stats: 91% (C3:87%) success rate, 42 sec. p.p.

3 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Jeez, I want an IM!

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

That's actually a good idea, do some bookkeeping during the time your opponent think. I'm going to try this saturday in my next tournament. Usually I walk around because if my opponent does the move I expected, I already calculated, and if he has different idea's you 95% cannot forsee what that will be. Why didn't I think of this earlier?

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Dan Heisman calculates that using opp time for strategy and prevention purposes instead of walking around makes a difference of 100 rating points! So, definitely, stay sitting at your board next saturday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home