Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Bishop pair fetishism

For circles will take me half a day now, there was none today. Evening city championship game. Old friend, played sicilian, I attacked with Morra. He was not familiar with it and lost some time on his clock. I lost time with unnecessary pawn moves. At a certain point I was able to gain back the pawn but giving up the bishop pair. I did not want this and made a passive move instead. I once read in a blog that every passive move costs 0.2 to 0.3 pawn units. I think in critical positions this could be up to 0.5 pawns, and this is the value of the bishop pair advantage. So my bishop pair fetishism did not pay. My opp came into play, I got my pawn back, the bishop pair disappeared from the board and the game was drawn. We analyzed the active alternative and found that I would have got a position with winning chances.

1 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I remember that fetishism very well...
But that asset is of little use when mate is delivered. Swiss GM Joe Galagher said once, "a Knight is a tacticians dreampiece."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home