Friday, April 29, 2005

To gambit or not to gambit

That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer ... Well, I just learned that my next rated game of Tuesday has been postponed, because of a holyday of my opp. So instead of White I probably will be Black next, and this would mean not to play gambit.

Why not? As black I stay away fom gambitting. Some reasons:

  • unsoundness rate of black gambits is higher
  • as Black the probability of a certain line is less predictable
  • gambits must be well prepared, so you use too much time in preparing things that never happen

Bobby Fischer, one of the most aggressive attackers chess world has ever seen, put it like this: «As black you must equalize first, only then you are ready to attack.»

Hungry? Vitamins are good for the thinking process!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home