Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Spotting the mouse traps

I am following the Michael de la Maza program since December 22, 2004. Means that I am in the middle of the 2nd Circle. My rating at the Swiss Chess Federation was 1627 at the moment I started the program, now it is 1639.

I did the microdrills as suggested by MDLM but meanwhile discontinued this. Why? I do not find it useful to spot in a fraction of a second where a single Knight, Bishop or Queen can go. Pieces are working together in chess! I suggest therefore a different sort of microdrill: Look at a position and spot all squares under control of White/Black. Look at the board until they pop up to you!

Yes, your are right, Temposchlucker!
Empty board, you name it, Nezha

Then, in many tactical positions you will find the mousetraps where Kings will be mated. Definition of a mousetrap: A central square, accessible to the King, surrounded by 7 squares not accessible to the King and 1 square by which the King enters the trap and goes to the central square. Squares not accessible may be not existent (edges of chessboard) or occupied by own pieces or under control of opponent pieces.

Nice picture of the mousetrap (#7 of 8 fundamental mating patterns) and its relatives, thanks King for posting and Tempo for showing me.

4 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Hello Mouse,
do I understand you correctly that you want to be a member of the Knights Errant?
King of the spill has put your traps on a chart here http://kingofthespill.blogspot.com/2005/02/fundamental-checkmates.html

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

Yep, would like to. Maybe you promote me? Nice chart of King! I am going to update my post with this link.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger knightwiz said...

Interesting post mousetrapper, this kind of "total sight" would be really useful to spot mattings. I'm doing the micro drills proposed by de la Maza, but after I get better at it(quicikier), I'm thinking on doing different visual exercises. Maybe I try it, if my eyes let me!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

Welcome aboard!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home