Sunday, April 17, 2005

My new blundercheck ritual

After my blunder in a recent game I desperately missed my old blundercheck ritual. The old one was writing down before moving and then have a last look. I have done this since once I saw my opponent write down a blunder, cross it out, make a good move and winning the game instead of losing. Good idea, but new FIDE rules will no longer allow this. I thought I better adopt the new rule immediately in order to be prepared before it becomes mandatory.

Well, I had to learn that I need a ritual that forces me to do a blundercheck before EVERY move. Yesterday I played at Swiss Team Championship and, for the very first time, I applied my new ritual. It is nearly the same as before, the only difference being that I do not write down the move, but make a visible dot in its place and say to myself: You made your move, now look at the board what you have done!

It worked perfectly. And our team won 5.5-0.5, the single draw was not mine. I managed to completely paralyze my opponent, get his Knight into a criss-cross pin for an eternity of moves, I had all the time in the world to build up more pressure and eventually take it.

2 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I know a guy who's first move is the best one most of the time. Often he stuffs it and write a worse one instead. (This guy never give me much trouble:)

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

That is good that FIDE is making this illegal in the rules. Everyone I played at my first tournament did it and I immediately saw the cognitive benefits of doing so. Even though it is a limited capacity scratchpad upon which to try out moves, it is still an external crutch. Imagine if you could write down every possible move, and work through them, checking off each one. Well, this is just a really anemic version of that cognitive aid.

This one guy I played was really funny: hiding what he was writing like he was a kid taking the SAT. Well, he was probably in the right age group. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home