Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Lesson learned

Last saturday I took part at a one day training with 2 grandmasters. Had won this at a competition offered by this newspaper. A saltimbocca with risotto and broccoli in a fine little italian restaurant was also offered. Great! The grandmasters presented own games they lost, and explained why. Really impressive, learned much, above all the strategic approach to a win. Tactics is fine, but only when its time has come.

Yesterday, at our city championship, I had the opportunity to see if I had learned the lesson. At one point I was tempted to sacrifice a piece for 2 pawns and attack, but I found no mate and decided to be patient. Sigma Chess told me later that my decision was wise.



Later, at this position, White offered a draw. Hey, man, in any puzzle I see the win in 7 seconds, but this was a game, it was late in the evening, and nobody told me «Black to move and win», leave alone such hints as «weak back rank» or «removal of the guard». I admit it took me 7 minutes. I lost 5 minutes considering the consequences of the 2 ways of queen exchange, but then the pattern JUMPED to me. I took another 2 minutes silently enjoying my win before I moved.

Rating status: 6 games, +41 points = 0.32 points/day
Extrapolation, just for fun: 400 points in 1244 days

7 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Today I had 3 problems like these:)

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Nezha said...

I fell to this same trick a lot of times before, so when I looked at the diagram, the pattern jumped at me too.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Jim said...

I spent about 5 minutes looking at this at kept thinking "What tactic?" until I realized I was looking at White to move rather than Black!! Duh!

I reversed my view and you're right - the pattern "pops" out in about 7 seconds.

Nice job.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Jim,
which means that a pattern only pops out after you start looking for it. In some way it is steered by some trial and error moves in the mind of the most striking pieces.

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger harmless said...

hey! I came across these blogs yesterday, and I feel so lucky.

I want to join the knights! can I?

you can e-mail the details: harmless64@gmail.com or "harmless" on icc.

thanks thanks thanks

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

The draw offer used to be a fairly straightforward thing before I started getting into intermediate level chess. Now it alerts me that I may have a won position. Looks like your opponent knew his goose was cooked :-).

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Mousetrapper said...

To Harmless: Your blog seems not yet to be open. Just start it, and you will be welcome among us.

To King: No, he missed this completely, he just counted and thought that the material was even. He was quite surprised to find that in fact he was a rook down!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home